Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Humanism and the Renaissance

I have known that the word, Renaissance, means rebirth, but rebirth of what? I did not know the answer.  In my first week of art history class, I learned that the Renaissance describes the rebirth of Greco-Roman naturalism and the revival of classical values in art and culture.  It began in Italy and spanned the 14th to 16th centuries.  A distinctive concept during the development of the Italian Renaissance was humanism.  In contrast to religion's emphasis on otherworldly values, humanism focused on earthly fulfillment and human values.  To the humanists, the classical Greek and Roman cultures provided a model for living that was derived from reason instead of authoritative religious dogma.
As I embark on this journey through art history, I am excited to see the paintings, sculptures, and architecture of this significant period. I hope to learn to recognize the styles of the various artists and to make connections between the art and the societal changes of the time. I hope to see the dramatic yet gradual changes in art and their influences on the way we see art today.  Perhaps my rich learning experience will lead me to begin a renaissance of my own.
Florence is an ideal place to study Renaissance art history

No comments:

Post a Comment